[英语学习] 《英语名人家书》 英汉对照

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:29 | 显示全部楼层
16. Albert Schweitzer

to His Parents( Ⅱ)

Barcelona

Friday, 23 October, 1908

My dear parents,

I have just been asked to participate in the gala concert that will be given on Monday eveninginhonor of the king and queen. Ihave accepted. Iam to play a Handel concerto for organ andorchestra and the organ part inBach's Magnificence. The tickets are horrendously expensive. Some of the boxes cost one thousandfrancs!The net receipts are earmarked for theCatalonian orphans. Iam the only soloist inthisconcert.

I get no chance to write because so much timeis wasted here;yesterday's rehearsal dragged onuntil 12∶30 A.M.!Today from 2∶00 to 6∶00!No one ever hurries, and they all smoke constantly. No soonerhave we rehearsed for ten minutes than the conductor sits down, rolls himself a cigarette, and smokes it, and the instrumentalists do likewise…and they don't continue rehearsing until the cigarette has beensmoked.Paul could see fiddlers galore here,eachfiddlingaway with a cigarette in the corner of hismouth. Atfirst Iwas annoyedatthe waste of time,but nowI am quite domesticated, andIsmile.

The newspapers have reported very positively on my lecture and my recital.On Saturday evening the auditorium will be sold out. I live very sensibly. I have just taken a big two-hour strollalong the large ring street,which runs from the hotel to the mountains. No rehearsal tomorrow morning!I'll sleep, write… and take a walk.

Yesterday I was amazed to see that they don'ttake anything like the same security measure forthe monarchs as in Germany. The crowd throngedaround the king's carriage, so it could advanceonly at a walking pace. Freedom reigns here.Theydid not even clear the streets forthe militaryparade. Awoman witha donkeycart heldup an entire regiment; it was too comical. We went tothe harbor—— immensely huge—— to see the French squadron.

The cityand the people generally make thebest impression. Everything is clean, everyoneworks.

It is ten-thirty at night. I am writing to youby the open window… the large palm trees areswaying in the wind.

I embrace you with all my heart,

Albert
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:36 | 显示全部楼层
16.阿尔伯特·施瓦策尔

致父母(2)

亲爱的爸爸、妈妈:

我刚刚接到邀请参加将于下周为国王和王后举行的庆祝音乐会。我接受了这一邀请。我将为管风琴和管弦乐演奏韩德尔协奏曲,并在巴赫的《辉煌》中演奏管凤琴,入场券贵得要命,有些包厢卖1000法郎。音乐会的纯收入将捐给加泰罗尼亚的孤儿。我是本场音乐会唯一的独奏家。

我没有机会写信,因为许多时间都在这儿白白地浪费掉了。昨天的彩排一直拖到上午12点半!今天又是从2点拖到6点!他们慢条斯理,而且都经常抽烟。我们彩排还不到十分钟,指挥就坐下来,卷了只香烟,抽了起来,于是乐手们也如法炮制,直到香烟抽完了,他们才继续彩排。保罗也看见小提琴手们聚在这儿,每人嘴角叼着一只香烟浪费时间。起初我为如此浪费时间而恼怒,但我现在已经习以为常了,只是笑一笑罢了。

报界对我的演讲及独奏音乐会给予了高度评价。星期六晚上,音乐会的入场券将出售一空。我生活得非常有理智。我刚刚沿着从宾馆通往群山的环形大街散步两小时。明早没有彩排!我可以睡睡觉、写写信、散散步。

昨天,我惊奇地看到,他们没有采取任何像在德国为君主采取的那些保安措施。人群蜂拥在国王的马车周围,马车只能以步行的速度缓慢前行。这里充满了自由,他们甚至没有为军队的检阅腾出街道。一个赶着毛驴车的妇女挡住了整个被检阅的队伍,真是太滑稽了。我们去了港口,那是个非常大的港口,去看法国的海军中队。

这个城市和这儿的人们普遍地给我留下了极好的印象。到处都很整洁,每个人都在工作。

已是晚上10点半了。我正在敞开的窗下给你们写信,高大的棕榈树在风中摇曳。全身心地拥抱你们。

阿尔伯特

于巴塞罗那,星期五

1908年10月23日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:43 | 显示全部楼层
17.T.E.Lawrence

to His Mother(Ⅰ)

Fleece Hotel Colchester

August 13,1905

Dear Mother,

We came here from Ipswich over a ratherhillyroad 18 miles long. Still we took two hours overit;and walked about six hills; a proceeding Fatherdoes not like. We are feeding splendidly. Father is much better and has not coughed since Lynn .

I have had to give up Bures. We came by the other road because of the wind;stillI hope to getPebmarsh tomorrow , andI got one yesterday soI'm not altogether mournful.I have sent off all myrubbings toMiss Powell; hope she'll like them. I expect you have will with you now.will you please tell him not to let you do more work than isnecessarytokeep you in condition? Also tickle Arnie when he gets up and when he goes to bed allfrom me. Tell him there are dozens of butterfliesofall sorts about here, some Red Admirals; and alot of other very queer ones. Ask Beadle to comeup here as he has never seen a Death's Head or some suchinsect. NorwichMuseumhe wouldhave enjoyed. There was the largest collection ofraptorial birds in existence 409 out of 470 species:Iwonder ifhe'll shriek with horror whenhe hearsthatI did not look at them but went off and examined the Norman W.C.s.In the hall was athrilling stuffed group a boa constrictor stranglinga tiger. We hope to returntoOxfordWednesday.Kindly take heaps of love from me for yourself;and when you've had enough, divide the remainderinto three portions,and give them to the threeworms you have with you.Iwonder how the

Doctor is enjoying Jerry. Don't forget the Canon's birthday next Sunday.We have had onepost card from Will, one from yourself and oneletter from you. Loud snores to all. Love to yourself.

Ned
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:50 | 显示全部楼层
17.托马斯·爱德华·劳伦斯

致母亲(1)

亲爱的妈妈:

我和父亲从依普斯威奇郡走过了一条长18英里的山路,翻越了约六座山,到达此地。路上花了两个小时。像这样的行程父亲是不喜欢的。不过一路上我们吃得很好。父亲现在好多了,自从离开林恩以后他就再也没有咳嗽。

我不得不放弃取道标尔斯。因为起风,我们只得从另一条路走。但我依然希望明天能到达佩伯玛西。好在昨天我又得到了一片摹拓,所以并不很失望。我已将所有的摹拓寄给了鲍威尔小姐,希望她会喜欢。我想现在威尔正与你在一起,是吗?请告诉他不要让你过于辛劳以免影响健康。此时,我不能在阿恩起床或上床睡觉时再去胳肢他了。你告诉他这儿有很多不同种类的蝴蝶:诸如“红司令”,以及其他一些很奇特的品种。也告诉比德尔,让他到这儿来,因为他还从未看过“死亡之头”或诸如此类的昆虫。他肯定会喜欢诺威奇博物馆。这儿收藏了最多的猛禽目类鸟类标本,藏有现存470个品种中的409种。如果他知道我没有看那些鸟却去看了诺儿曼的鹫瓮定会惊恐得大叫。大厅里有一组令人恐怖的蟒蛇勒死老虎的标本。我们想星期三返回牛津。带给你无限的爱,并向你们的三只可爱的小虫转达我的爱。我们的医生喜欢杰丽吗?不要忘记下个星期天是坎农的生日。我们已收到了威尔的一张明信片,还有你的明信片和一封信。向大家问好!

爱你的,

内德

于科尔切斯特

福利斯旅馆

1905年 8月 13日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:57 | 显示全部楼层
18.T.E.Lawrence

to His Mother(Ⅱ)

Evreux

Sunday 11 August 1907

Dear Mother,

Father is out, and so I am at last writing to you. I would have written before, butwas sobusy taking photos, etc.at Chateau Gaillard.Beauvais was a wonderfulplace, and I left it with great regret for Gisors which was disappointing,(a large castle,but all the towers locked up), from Gisors we cameto Petit Andelys .The Chateau Gaillard was so magnificent,and the post cards soabominable , thatI stopped there an extra day.&did nothing but photograph,from 6.a.m.to 7.p. m.I took ten altogether. and if all are successful, Iwill have a wonderful series. Iwillcertainly have to start a book. Some of them werevery difficult to take, and the whole day was veryhard. Ithink Pt. Andelys wouldbe agoodplacetostop at. The hotel is cheap, and very pleasant.The Seine runs near the back door.& the bathingis excellent, from a little wooded island in the centre of the river.There are plenty of hills withinsight,&many interesting places.Also the sceneryall along the river is exceedingly fine.Long stringsof barges pulled by a steam-tug pass the hoteloccasionally,and the whole place is overshadowedby the hills with the ruins of the Ch eau.I havetalked so much about this to you that you mustknow it all by heart,so I had better content myselfwith saying that its plan is marvellous,theexecution wonderful,and the situation perfect.The whole construction bears the unmistakablestamp of genius.Richard I must have been a fargreater man than we usually consider him:he musthave been a great strategist and a great engineer,as well as a great man-at-arms.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:10:04 | 显示全部楼层
18.托马斯·爱德华·劳伦斯

致母亲(2)

亲爱的妈妈:

父亲出去了,我终于能给您写信了。我本该早就给您写,只因忙于在加里阿德城堡拍照等等。波微是一个迷人的地方,我依依不舍地离开它前往计索(一个大城堡),但计索令我失望:所有的塔都被锁上了。从计索我又来到了小安德利斯。加里阿德城堡是如此富丽堂皇,然而那里的明信片却是如此的糟糕,致使我在那儿多停留了一天,没做别的什么事,只是一个劲儿地拍照,从早晨6点到下午7点,我一共拍了十卷。如果所拍的全部成功,我就会得到一套极好的系列照片,于是我肯定得为此而写一本书。有些照片特别难拍,所以那一整天很辛苦。我认为小安德利斯是个不错的停留地,旅店既便宜又舒适。塞纳河从旅店后门的不远处流过,在河中心的一个树林茂密的小岛周围是一个极佳的浴场。许多小山丘和有趣的景致尽收眼底。塞纳河边的风光非常迷人,不时可见拖船拖着一长串驳船从旅店门前驶过。整个地方被托着城堡废墟的小丘的阴影遮蔽着。我对你描述了这许多想必你一定对它有一个清晰的轮廓了。因此我可以挺得意地说城堡(加里阿德城堡)规划奇特,实施巧妙,与周围环境完全融为一体,整个建筑真是巧夺天工,具有天才的特质。理查德一世定是一位远比我们通常所想象的还要伟大得多的人物:他一定是一位伟大的战略家,伟大的工程师,也一定是一位伟大的士兵。

于艾莆勒,星期日

1907年8月11日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:10:10 | 显示全部楼层
19.Michael Collins to

His Fiancée(Kitty Kiernan)

15 Cadogan Gardens,Chelse,London S.W

19 October 1921

My dear Kitty,

I was cross——very cross——when I wroteyesterday.I tried hard all day to forget you,but itwouldn't work out.I gave up the attempt and Ipunished myself for not being nice to you——andthere you are.You have it all now.That being so.I hope you won't feel it necessary to write anymore severe letters.

Got your Monday [morning] letter last nightwhen I called to my sister's place.Didn't get ontoo well with her either.Trouble everywhere.Myown fault.One thing in your letters is truly fine.It does seem ages since I saw you!And it doesseem a long way——to our next conversation Imean.These conversations are fine,and they arestraight,and that's that.

Hope you enjoyed that drive.Last night Iescaped from all my people and went for a drivealone.Rather funny——the great M.C. in lonely splendor.I am lonely actually and I suppose youwon't believe that,and that's that.

Sorry that some of my letters should fallshort.Read those ones again.They are not meantto fall really short.But life has to take in theserious things as well as the light things,and eventhough we may like sunshine always,it is notpractically nor indeed——and remember this——isit desirable.And that's that.

And I am very cross with myself this morning,and I am very apologetic to you and I ought to be,and not for yesterday's letter merelybut a lot more,and without you I would neverhave thought of the candles and I know I owe youany amount,and I know that you have been of immense help to me and I was overjoyed last nightwhen my sister asked when were P and H returning from Paris,and couldn't we have dinnerwith them and perhaps K could be there also.Iwonder if K would,and I wonder what my K thinks of this letter.It's very unlike me,isn't it?And I won't change it.And this is finished.

And love and blessings.

Michael
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:10:16 | 显示全部楼层
19.迈克尔·柯林斯致

未婚妻(基蒂·吉尔南)

我亲爱的基蒂:

我昨天写信的时候脾气不好,非常不好。因为我整整一天都试图忘记你,但没有奏效。于是我放弃了这一努力,就用对你不友好的方式来惩罚我自己——你已经收到了那封信。现在你已经全部看过了那封信。既然如此,我希望你觉得没有必要给我写任何更严厉的回信。

昨晚当我给我姐姐的住所打电话的时候,我收到了你星期一(上午)写的信。我与姐姐也相处得不太好,到处都是麻烦,全都是我的错。你的信有一点真是太好了。我确实好像已长时间没有见到你了。而且确实似乎要很长一段时间——我是说我们才能进行下一次交谈。我们曾经在一起的交谈非常好,很坦率,的确如此。

希望你喜欢那次驾车旅行。昨晚,我避开自己周围的人,独自开车出去。相当滑稽——伟大的迈克尔·柯林斯却处于孤独的辉煌之中。我的确很孤独,我想你不会相信,但的确如此。

很抱歉我有些信写短了。把那些信再看一遍。这些信并不是有意写短。但是生活中有轻松的事也有严肃的事,尽管如此,我们却总是偏爱阳光,可是这既非实际也不真实——记住——这只是渴望。的确如此。

今天早上我对自己感到非常生气,我对你深感歉意,而且我理应如此,这并非仅仅因为昨天的信,而且还因为其它许多的事。如果没有你,我永远不会想到那些蜡烛。我知道我欠你太多,我知道你给予了我巨大的帮助。昨晚我姐姐问我,P和H何时从巴黎返回,我们是否与他们一起吃顿晚餐,而且基蒂可知道我的基蒂认为我写的这封信怎么样。这一点儿都不像我,是吗?我不会修改它了。就写到这儿。

给你爱和祝福,

迈克尔

于威尔士伦敦南,切尔西

多根园15号

1921年10月19日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:10:24 | 显示全部楼层
20.Kitty Kiernan to Her Fiancé

(Michael Collins)

My dear Michael,

I am surprised at your note just received.Inever meant you to read my letter the way you did.Never suggested that you were not straight in anyone of the things you suggested.I'm afraid youtook the letter all wrong.

I am very sorry if I have offended you,ormade you unhappy by that letter—and really youprobably won't believe me,but it was neverintended as such.I can't remember the letterexactly now,but am quite sure that when writingit,I didn't feel those things.As I do now,alwaysdid.you are everything to me,and surely youknow it.Then why should I want to hurt you?No,you misjudge me.It was a misunderstanding,the whole thing,and I am sorry.Please forget itand remember that I am always thinking of you.You are never out of my heart.I feel very sad andunhappy today since I got your note.Do hope thatmy next one will cheer you,and have a differenteffect.Will be more careful next time what Iwrite!My letters are slow going.Wrote on Mondy,you should have it Tuesday night.

It worries me and it is always worrying thatyou have so much to do.Is there no remedy?Iwish I was near you nose.Come for the weekend.Ah,do.This weekend.Couldn't be done?How

I'd love it.Ah,yes,try,try.You will come.Justsend a note Friday that you are coming Saturday.

I wrote you,or tried to write you a nice letteryesterday.Hoe it will please you and help lightenthe heavy load.

This is my morning in shop.Then I go over inthe evening in such bad humor to try to wash myhair for the night,sew my long frock etc.Yournote has upset it all.But I'll go to the dance.That's what you would like me to do,isn't it?Butthis doesn't say I'll enjoy it.You,of course,willbe near all the time.I'll feel that I'll want to talkof you always,but it might bore other men?Thatisn't the way to get partners at a Ball!So I'll justhave to put my best foot forward if I want todance.Had a nice little note come from you,I'd bein great form going.Larry is motoring me.

I wish that you were here,and please make itup with me and don't be vexed.Send me a wire ifyou have time.I'll know by it that all is well.

Can't you be more kind to yourself as regards work,and have more sleep and air.You never hinthow things are going over there,but suppose it'shard to tell.

Went to bed early last night and prayed foryou·

Was the letter awful that you destroyed?Didyou say goodbye to me for good.I'd forgive you ifyou did it just in a fit.Write and say we are asgreat as ever.Your letter today was not like you,nor like the lovely ones that I got before.

If my letter written on,Monday night displeases you,it was partly Dr MacM's fault.Hetried to tease me all the time,firing things at mewhile I was writing it.I got into a temper .

Goodbye with my love and a big kiss (if you'llhave it).

ours ever
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:10:32 | 显示全部楼层
20.基蒂·吉尔南致未婚夫

(迈克尔·柯林斯)

我亲爱的迈克尔:

我对刚刚收到的你的那封短笺感到吃惊。我并没有想让你用那种方式读我的信。我从来没有认为你对你所提及的任何一件事有不坦率之处。恐怕你把我的信全部理解错了。

如果我的那封信伤害了你或者使你不快,对此我十分抱歉——也许你真的不相信我,但我的确没有那种意图。现在我无法确切地记起那封信,但我十分肯定,当我写那封信时,我并没有那些感觉。如同现在,过去也一直是如此,你是我的一切,肯定你也知道这一点。那么我为什么要伤害你呢?不,你误解了我。整个这一切都是误解,我很抱歉。请你忘记这一切并记住我一直想着你。你从来都没有不在我心里。今天,自从收到你的短笺,我感到非常伤心,很不愉快。真希望我的下一封信能使你快乐,产生一种不同的效果。下次我一定会对我写的信更小心一些!我的信走得很慢。星期一写的信,你应该在星期二晚上收到。

你要做的事那么多使我很担心,而且你总是有那么多的事要做,这也总是令人担心。没有别的补救办法吗?真希望我就在你的身旁。你周末过来吧。啊,一定过来,这个周末。难道不行吗?我多么希望你来啊。啊,是的,争取来,争取来。你会来的。星期五寄封短笺给我,告诉我星期六你要来。

我昨天给你写了一封好信,或者说试图给你写了一封好信。希望它能使你快乐,并且帮助你减轻你那沉重的负担。

现在是上午,我正在商店里。晚上我将带着这种很糟糕的情绪,为参加夜晚的活动洗整头发,缝制我的长上衣,等等。你的短笺搅乱了这一切。但我还是要去参加舞会。这是你希望我做的事,对吗?但这并不是说我喜欢参加舞会。当然,你随时都会陪伴在我身旁。我感到我总是想谈及你,但这是否会使其他男士感到厌烦?那可不是在舞会上找舞伴的方法!所以如果我想跳舞,我就不得不全力以赴。如果能从你那里得到一张小小的令人欣慰的字条,我就会兴高采烈地离去。拉里为我开车。

真希望你现在就在这儿,请和我重归于好吧,不要再烦恼了。如果你有时间,给我发个电报。我从电报中将会知道你一切都很好。

你就不能少干一点儿工作吗?应该多睡一点儿,多呼吸些新鲜空气。你从来没有透露过那边的情况如何,但我猜想,也许一切难以预料。

我昨晚很早就睡觉了,并且为你做了祈祷。

我的那封信太糟了,你把它毁了吗?你对我说永别了吗?如果你是在发怒的时候那样做的,我会原谅你的。写信告诉我,我们和以前一样好。你今天的这封短信,不像你,也不像我过去收到的那些可爱的信。

如果我星期一晚上写的那封信使你不愉快,那么,有一部分是麦克马医生的错。我写信时,他一直在揶揄我,批评指责我。我发脾气了。

再见!带着我的爱和深深的吻(如果你愿意接受)。

永远属于你的,

基蒂
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:11:10 | 显示全部楼层
21.Virgil Thomson to

His Sister(Ruby Gleason)

Cambridge

August 26,1920

Dear Sister,

The news of the stork's visit is the most excitement I have had yet.It is exactly what I had hoped would happen for a long time,because I think a child in the family will do us all good.Of course it's difficult and expensive and dangerous,but we mustn't be afraid of things like that.A family that doesn't go through them and risk things is decayed.There is no way of protecting ourselves from life that isn't stupid,and the only way to be somebody is to do all the important things and do them with gusto.To get married without having children is rather begging thequestion ,I think,side-stepping the main issue.I am glad the family isn't delaying,and I hope whenyou can afford it there will be one or two more.I hope it is a squalling lusty boy with dark red hairand freckles.

If the others weren't pleased at the prospect,it was clumsy not to say so.But I suppose we arenothing if not frank in the family.Mother hasalways had the idea that there was something a bitvulgar about having a baby,as if the best peopledidn't do it,whereas the“best people”are exactlythe ones who still have families of eight and ten,while the middle classes nowadays are gettingselfish and timorous and either have no children atall or else devote themselves to one spoiled baby.I'll bet Roy is glad.

By the way,you must not let the family in,Besure and go out every day to exercise,clear up tillthe confinement ,and go in the motor all you can.Also please don't economize.I insist on your goingto a hospital and having a nurse for the first fewmonths.Anything else is not safe.

Please tell the family they deserve a goodspanking for not wanting to tell me(which wouldhave been outrageous )and for being selfish andstupid in their attitude.

If you are not too busy with sewing and things,I'd love the luster china.And I'd like it assoon as I can have it.I'd like some cups and platesand a tea set with a thick,squatty pot.If you haveto buy any of the china,I'll pay for it.A little bowlor so would be useful if you have one around.

I just came down this morning.The boat tripyesterday afternoon was very lovely.Sunny andcool and a brilliant,Mediterranean blue,as wecame through all the islands and thoroughfares on the coast.I had a great vacation and I've gainedmany pounds.

Lots of love and be careful,

Virgil
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:11:17 | 显示全部楼层
21.弗吉尔·汤姆森致姐姐

(鲁比·格利森)

亲爱的姐姐:

婴儿即将诞生的消息是最令我感到兴奋的事情。这正是我长期以来所盼望的,因为我认为家里有个小孩儿对我们大家都有好处。当然,生孩子既困难又费钱,而且还危险,但我们不能那样胆小怕事。一个经不起事、不敢冒险的家族是衰败的家族。没有办法使我们自己远离并不乏味的生活,唯一能使我们成为重要人物的方法是去做所有重要的事,并且兴致勃勃地去做这些事。我认为,结婚而不要孩子是诡辩,是回避主要问题。我为咱们的家族没有衰败而欢欣,我希望,若你们能负担得起,再多要一个或两个孩子。我希望即将出生的这个孩子是强健的、长着深红色头发和雀斑的、大声啼哭的男孩。

如果其他的人对孩子的出生不高兴,不说出来也很愚蠢。但我觉得如果我们在家里都不坦诚,那么我们还算什么呢。母亲一直有这样的想法,生孩子是有点庸俗的事情,似乎上层人不做此事,而实际上“上层人”恰恰是那些拥有八个或十个家庭成员的那些人,但如今的中等阶层却越来越自私和胆怯,要么根本不生孩子,要么全身心都放在一个被宠坏的孩子身上、我肯定罗伊会十分高兴。

顺便说一句,你不要让家里人参与此事。每天一定要出去锻炼,到分娩时再告诉他们,尽可能乘汽车去分娩。一定不要太节俭。我坚持认为你应该到医院去,最初的几个月由护士照顾。其他的任何方式都不安全。

请告诉家里人,他们真该挨揍,因为他们不想把此事告诉我(这真是令人不能容忍),也因为他们对此事的态度既自私又愚蠢。

如果你不是太忙于缝纫或其他的事儿,我想要些精美的瓷器,并希望尽快得到。我想要几个茶杯和盘子,一套配有厚实、粗矮的茶壶的茶具。如果你得去买这些瓷器,我会付钱的。如果你身边就有,一个小碗或其他什么也会对我有用。

我今天早晨才返回。昨天下午的乘船旅行真是太有意思了。当我们游览所有的岛屿及海滨大道时,天空晴朗,气候凉爽,地中海那鲜艳夺目的蔚蓝呈现在我们的眼前。我度过了一个愉快的假期,而且长胖了许多。

请多保重!

爱你的,

弗吉尔

于坎布里奇

1920年8月26日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:11:25 | 显示全部楼层
22.E.B.White to His

Mother(Jessie Hart White)

Beta Theta Pi house

Ohio State University

Columbus,Ohio

26 April 1922

Dearest Mum:

I am hoping this will arrive on April 27 togreet you on your 42nd wedding anniversary,but Iam a little late in starting it as usual.Your letterreached me at Mansfield,O.a couple of days ago where it was forwarded from East Aurora.I guess Itold you in one of my previous letters that the wayto reach me by mail is via 159 Park Place,EastAurora.Mr.Cushman does the forwarding.

So you've been gay for forty years

For forty years and two—

Been jolly all through smiles and tears

So you've been gay for forty years:

A thing one very seldom hears.

I send my love to you.

So you've been gay for forty years

For forty years and two.

I hardly think I have written you since we leftEast Aurora a week ago Monday in the afternoon.We remained over Easter at the Cushmans and hadEaster Sunday dinner at the Roycroft.The nextday we left,clanking merrily out of town with ourbed upon our back as goes the turtle…

Spring has arrived in Ohio.This is a flat statewhere red pigs graze in bright green fields andwhere farms are neat and prosperous——not likeNew York farms.We roll along through dozens ofvillages and cities whose names we never heard.They are typical of the middle west.The oldestinhabitant is generally standing somewhere pullinga long white beard,the smithy door is generallyopen and the sound of the anvil to be heard,thevillage flapper is generally flapping up and downalong Main Street in front of a group of joblessyouths who help hold the drug store up,and somewhere there is always a housewife sweepingoff a porch or carrying a spadeful of manure to thegarden.Toward evening the country scenes becomeidyllic ——the sort of thing you have seen in themoving pictures and never quite believed in.Sheepcome drifting up long green lawns where poplars throw interminable shadows,come drifting up andstand like statues beneath white plum blossoms,while far down the lane and off in the fields a littleFord tractor moves like a snail across the furrows.Lilacs are in full bloom and the lavender iron-wood blossoms are coloring all the roads.

I've given up cigarettes until I get toCalifornia.Isn't that a good idea?Cush thinks it'sgreat.I also am looking forward soon to giving upclean shirts.They're worse than cigarettes.I'm onmy last one now.

The Ford is a tremendous expense.Repairshave cost up 75 cents since we left New York——50 cents for a busted radiator and 25 cents for a fanbelt.Pretty heavy going.

New York is the state for roads.Here thereare pikes,which are cement on one side and dirton the other.When you meet another car if you areon the cement side all is well,and when you are onthe dirt side you steer to one side,sink downindefinitely,and then get out and lift the car backonto the road again.That's why Fords can goplaces where heavler cars have difficulty.Wheneveryour Ford shows signs of weakening,you can lift itback where it belongs.

Tell Father he ought to read Benchley's Of All Things if he wants a good time.I read it theother day in Mansfield.It's about as funny asanything there is on the market today with theexception,of course,of the Cushman-White travelogues which are simply killing.

We'll be leaving for Kentucky on Fridaymorning.This place is so beautiful we want to stayfor a day or so to become acquainted with it.

Congratulations again on your anniversary.Have a good time at Atlantic City honeymooning.Love to Father——tell him I received his letter andthank yon.I mailed the slip to the Trust Company the other day in Mansfield.

Yours,

Andy
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:11:34 | 显示全部楼层
22.艾温·布鲁克斯·怀特致

母亲(杰西·哈特·怀特)

亲爱的妈妈:

我希望这封信可在4月27日到达您手中以庆贺您结婚42周年纪念日,但如往常一样我这封信发得晚了一点。您的信几天前在曼斯菲尔德到达了我手中,是从东奥洛拉转来的。我猜想我在前几封信中的某一封信告诉过您,给我寄信可以通过东奥洛拉公园路159号的库什曼先生转交。

四十年来您一直是如此快乐

四十二年了——

一路撒满了喜悦的微笑和泪水

四十年来您一直是如此快乐:

于此,人们难以相信。

我多么爱您。

四十年来您是如此快乐

哦,四十二年了。

我根本没想到,自从一个星期前的星期一下午我们离开东奥洛拉后我还会给您写信。我们在库什曼家呆到了复活节,在罗伊克罗夫特家吃了复活节晚餐。第二天我们就离开了,脚下迈着欢快的步子从城里走出,肩上背着我们的铺盖,宛如乌龟一般。

春天来到了俄亥俄州。俄亥俄州是一个平坦之州,这儿的红猪在翠绿的田野上一掠而过,这里的农场整洁,呈现出一片繁荣景象——不像纽约的农场。我们驾车向前奔跑,穿过了许许多多的村庄和城市,那些村庄和城市的名字我们从来还没有听说过。这里是典型的中西部地区:最年长的居民通常站在某个地方,拖着长长的白色胡须;铁匠店的门通常是开着的,可以听到铁砧的声音;村里的妙龄少女们通常在一群没有工作的年轻人面前沿着大街来回走动着,那些年轻人帮助照看药店;不远处总有一个家庭主妇打扫着门廊,或运一锹肥料到花园去。黄昏时的乡村景色是一派田园风光,您在电影里才能见到的那种,您是不会相信的。羊群沿着长长的绿色的草地飘来,草地上的白杨林投下了数不清的阴影,羊群飘来了,站立在白李子树花下像一樽樽雕像。沿着远去的乡间小路去看田野,一部福德牌拖拉机像一只蜗牛横着犁间慢行。紫丁香盛开,熏衣香铁树的花儿把每条路都装点得五彩缤纷。

我准备在到达加利弗尼亚之前把烟戒掉。这难道不是一个好主意吗?库什认为这很棒。我也期待着很快放弃干净的衬衣,他们比香烟还要糟糕。我现在穿的是最后一件。

福特牌汽车花费很大。自我们离开纽约后维修已花了75美分—50美分修理炸裂的水箱,25美分修理鼓风机皮带。开支的确不小。

纽约州是一个公路之州。在这儿有收费的公路,它一边是水泥路,另一边是泥土路。当一辆车与另一辆车相遇时,假如其中一辆正好在水泥路这一边,那还没什么问题;可当其中一辆在泥土这一边,要转上水泥路一边行驶,就说不定会遇到车轮下沉。于是你必须下车,把你的车抬回到路上。这就是为什么我的福特车能去的地方而重型车有困难。无论什么时候你的福特车有抛锚的迹象,你能把它提回到它原来的地方。

告诉父亲,如果他想过得愉快应该读一读本奇利的《万花筒》一书。几天前我在曼斯菲尔德看过它。它差不多和当今市面上所有的东西一样有趣,当然除了库什曼·怀特的旅行观感,那简直令人倒胃口。

我们星期五早晨准备到肯塔基。这个地方如此美丽,我想再多呆一、两天去了解它。

在您的结婚周年纪念日之际再次祝贺您。祝您到大西洋城度过一个愉快的蜜月。向父亲问好——告诉他我收到了他的信,谢谢您。几天前我把那张便条寄到了曼斯菲尔德的信托公司。

您的

安迪

于俄亥俄州哥伦布

俄亥俄州大学

1922年4月26日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:11:42 | 显示全部楼层
23.Ernest Hemingway to

His Mother(Grace Hall Hemingway)

Gstaad,5 February 1927

Dear Mother:

Thank you very much for sending me thecatalogue of the Marshal Field exhibit with thereproduction of your painting of the BlacksmithShop in it.It looks very lovely and I should haveliked to see the original.

I did not answer when you wrote about theSun etc.book as I could not help being angry andit is very foolish to write angry letters;and morethan foolish to do so to one's mother.It is quitenatural for you not to like the book and I regretyour reading any book that causes you pain ordisgust.

On the other hand I am in no way ashamed ofthe book,except in as I may have failed inaccurately portraying the people I wrote of,or inmaking them really come alive to the reader.I amsure the book is unpleasant.But it is not allunpleasant and I am sure is no more unpleasantthan the real inner lives of some of our best Oak Park families.You must remember that in such abook all the worst of the people's lives is displayedwhile at home there is a very lovely side for thepublic and the sort of thing of which I have hadsome experience in observing behind closed doors.Besides you,as an artist,know that a writer shouldnot be forced to defend his choice of a subject butshould be criticized on how he has treated thatsubject.The people I wrote of were certainlyburned out,hollow and smashed——and that is theway I have attempted to show them.I am onlyashamed of the book in whatever way it fails toreally give the people I wished to present.I have along life to write other books and the subjects willnot always be the same——except as they will all,I hope,be human beings.

And if the good ladies of the book study clubunder the guidance of Miss Fanny Butcher,who isnot an intelligent reviewer——I would have feltvery silly had she praised the book——agreeunanimously that I am prostituting a great talentetc.for the lowest ends——why the good ladiesare talking about something of which they knownothing and saying very foolish things.

As for Hadley,Bumby and myself——althoHadley and I have not been living in the same house for some time(we have lived apart since lastSept.and by now Hadley may have divorced me)we are the very best of friends.She and Bumby areboth well,healthy and happy and all the profits androyalties of The Sun Also Rises,by my order,arebeing paid directly to Hadley,both from Americaand England.The book has gone into,by the lastads I saw in January,5 printings(15000)copies,and is still going strongly.It is published inEngland in the Spring under the title of Fiesta .Hadley is coming to America in the Spring so youcan see Bumby on the profits of Sun Also Rises.Iam not taking one cent of the royalties,which arealready running into several thousand dollars,havebeen drinking nothing but my usual wine or beerwith meals,have been leading a very monastic lifeand trying to write as well as I am able.We havedifferent ideas about what constitutes good writing——that is simply a fundamental disagreement——but you really are deceivingyourself if you allow any Fanny Butchers to tellyou that I am pandering to sensation-alism etc.etc.I get letters from Vanity Fair,Cosmopolitan etc.asking me for stories,articles,and serials,butam publishing nothing for six months or a year(afew stories sold to Scribner's the end of last year and one funny article out) because I know thatnow is a very crucial time and that it is much moreimportant for me to write in tranquility,trying towrite as well as I can,with no eye on any market,nor any thought of what the stuff willl bring,oreven if it can ever be published——than to fall intothe money making trap which handles American writers like the cornhusking machine handled mynoted relative's thumb .

I'm sending this letter to both of you  becauseI know you have been worried about me and I amalways sorry to cause you worry.But you must notdo that——because,although my life may smashup in different ways I will always do all that I canfor the people I love(I don't write home a lotbecause I haven't time and because,writing,I findit very hard to write letters and have to restrictcorrespondence to the letters I have to write——and my real friends know that I am just as fond ofthem whether I write or not)that I have neverbeen a drunk nor even a steady drinker(You willhear legends that I am——they are tacked on everyone that ever wrote about people who drink)and that all I want is tranquility and a chance towrite.You may never like any thing I write——andthen suddenly you might like something very much.But you must believe that I am sincere inwhat I write.Dad has been very loyal and whileyou,mother,have not been loyal at all I absolutelyunderstand that it is because you believed youowed it to yourself to correct me in a path whichseemed to you disastrous.

So maybe we can drop that all.I am sure that,in the course of my life,you will find much cause tofeel that I have disgraced you if you believeeverything you hear.On the other hand with alittle shot of loyalty as anaesthetic you may be able to get through all my obvious disreputability and find,in the end,that I have not disgraced youat all.

Anyhow,best love to you both,

Ernie
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注~册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|咖啡日语

GMT+8, 2024-5-26 19:53