注~册
搜索
楼主: rikokushin

[英语学习] 《英语名人家书》 英汉对照

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:07:05 | 显示全部楼层
8.玛格丽特·富勒致

弟弟(阿瑟·B·富勒)

我亲爱的阿瑟,并不是因为我“对你无话可说”,我的信才那么短,而是因为我身体不好以及事务繁多迫使我不得不节约时间。你也知道,在我所有的工作中,写作对我的病是最为不利的,而且,因为我无论如何都得做许多事,所以我就尽量避免去做我可以避免的事。你要记住这一点,不要用我的信的多少和长短来衡量我对你的追求的兴趣、或对你的感情。

我一切仍然安排得很好。养肥的猪已经杀了,一切都很好,也并没有因我们在这扮演了忏悔的罪人而应验了你和理查德所预示的凶兆。我们常常办猪肉宴会,而这对像我自己这样的“真正的信仰者”来说是不相符的。

我其他方面的生活如同往常。我曾去听过《梦游女》,但我对这场音乐会并不感到满意,和我们爱挑剔的理查德对他所听的音乐会有同感,我估计,他给你描述过那场音乐会。

埃伦生病的消息让我感到很难过,既为她的缘故,也为母亲的缘故,因为母亲看过她之后,立即心情忧郁。济慈先生给我的来信既亲切又明了。我肯定她将得到她所需要的一切关心和明智的忠告。她已退烧,只是风湿病还没有治好,医生说她将会很快康复,我希望尽快听到她的消息。

对于你的教学,我无法给你多少有价值的建议,除非我对你的现状有更加详细的了解。与我们人类相关的最重要的原则是,不要忘记,即使人们不完美,他们也是不朽的灵魂,有鉴于此,你若希望别人如何对待你,你就应该如何去对待别人。

至于使用什么方法——尽量避免使用惩罚,尽可能使用鼓励的方式,但不要奉承他们。对孩子要比对你的同龄人更加注意坚持真理。因为对孩子来说父母或老师就是公正的代表,而且,因为生活是艰辛的,所以任何层次的教育若引起孩子的虚荣心理,这对于一般的学生众多的学校来说是极其糟糕的。

我毫不怀疑你能教好语法,因为我看到你在实习时重点针对语法规则。在地理课中,尽量制作些图片,这可供他们想象,并把这种较好的视觉官能带入行为和记忆之中。在历史课中,多研究伟人们的性格并争取把他们描绘出来;它们最能说明这些人在各国的重大事件中所起的领导作用。

我很喜欢你谈论他人和小学生的方式,你的观点看来很正确,而且体验到了受欢迎甚至被人爱戴的愉快心情。至于你的和蔼可亲的性情和快乐的性格使你如此,这是一种幸福,但你略有点儿花言巧语,这是有害的。但我不多给你当老师了,以免使你不乐意给你亲爱的姐姐写信了。

玛格丽特

于牙买加平原

1840年12月20日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:07:16 | 显示全部楼层
9. Mark Twain to His Wife

(Olivia L.Langdon)(I)

15 February 1869, Ohio

Livy,darling, how are you this morning?Forit is morning,I guess,inasmuch as it is only halfpast 9,&I have not got up yet.I only awoke a

little while ago,&naturally thought of you the first thing.I don't intend to get up till noon.

I wrote to our Mother,——if she will allow me to call her so——&the letter is gone. If I hadit back I would write it over again. I see that inletting the letter“write itself” it took entirely too unconventional a form. I forgot,occasionally, thefact that I was really writing to the PUBLIC,instead of to her. And so I elaborated what neededno elaboration,& merely touched upon matterswhich should have been treated more fully. But don't you see?——if I had kept the public in mymind, the sense of being questioned & crossquestioned by outsiders, upon matters essentiallyprivate & personal, would have been so oppressivethat I could not have written at all. It is hard toknow that what you are writing(confessing) aboutyour most delicate& private affairs is to be read bystrangers and unlovingly criticised & commentedon at tea tables & among miscellaneous groupswho would often rather say a smart thing than akind one. So I think that maybe, after all, theremay have been a little natural impulse to holdback,instead of speaking out freely, though I wasnot really conscious of such an impulse. I do notthink I am more sensitive than others woule be under like circumstances.

I told Mrs.Fairbanks to have the ring made,& then express it to me at Elmira so that it wouldreach there about the 20th.And so you see I canput it on your finger myself,my precious littlewife.

I wrote Twichell a short note yesterday to thank him for his kind efforts in forwarding ouraffairs.I told him we meant to lead a useful,unostentations & earnest religious life,& that Ishould unite with the church as soon as I was settled;& that both of us, on these accounts,would prefer the quiet, moral atmosphere ofHartford to the driving, ambitious ways ofCleveland. I wanted him to understand that whatwe want is a home——we are done with the shows& vanities of life & are ready to enter upon itsrealities that we are tired of chasing itsphantoms & shadows,& are ready to grasp itssubstance.At least I am——&“I” means both ofus,&“both of us” means I of course——for arenot we Twain one flesh?

I read a great deal in the Testament lastnight——why didn't we read the Testament more,instead of carrying loads of books into the drawingroom which we never read? I thought of it Severaltimes.

Clouding up again——well,is it never goingto clear off? I will go to sleep again.Take thisloving kiss & go to bed yourself,my idol.

Sam
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:07:27 | 显示全部楼层
9.马克·吐温致妻

(奥莉维亚·L·兰登)(1)

莉维,亲爱的,今天早晨你好吗?因为这是早晨,估计只有九点半,所以我还没有起床。我刚刚醒来,自然首先想到的就是你。我打算到中午再起床。

我给我们的母亲写了一封信——如果她允许我这样称呼她的话——信已经寄出。如果我能把信收回,我定会重写一遍。我明白,若要让这封信“尽情表达”,它就会完全具有一种不落俗套的形式。但我又偶尔忘记,我实际上不是给她而是给公众写信这一事实。所以我详细阐述了那些不该详细阐述的事情,却对那些应该详细阐述的事情一带而过。但是你明白吗?——如果我把公众记在心上,那种被公众询问或盘问纯属个人隐私的事情的感觉会是如此难以忍受,以至于使我根本无法写信。很难想象,你所写的或承认的关于你的最微妙的事情和隐私是怎样被陌生人阅读,又是怎样在茶余饭后被那些尽谈别人痛苦之事而非友善之事的形形色色的人评头论足。所以,也许毕竟是一种本能冲动驱使我去隐瞒,而不是无拘无束地全盘托出,尽管我并非真正意识到这种冲动。我并不认为自己与在同样情况下的其他人对此更敏感。

我已告诉费尔班克斯夫人去定做戒指,然后用快件寄到艾尔米拉,我于20号左右就能收到。这样,我就可以亲手把它戴在你的手指上,我亲爱的娇小的妻子。

我昨天给特威切尔写了一封短信,感谢他为促成我们的婚事尽心费力。我告诉他,我们打算过一种有意义、朴素、真挚、虔诚的生活;我一安顿下来就将与教堂联系;出于这些原因,我们俩都偏爱哈特福特的这种安宁、健康的氛围,而不喜欢克利夫兰那种干劲冲天、雄心勃勃的生活方式。我希望他明白,我们需要的是一个家——我们忍受过生活中的表演和虚荣,准备走进生活的现实中去——我们厌倦追逐生活中的幽灵和幻影,我们准备抓住它的实质。至少我——“我”是指我们俩人,当然“我们俩人”也是指我——因为我们两人不是成为一体了吗?

我昨天晚上读了许多《圣经》——为什么我们不能多读点《圣经》,却偏要把大量的从来都不看的书搬进客厅?我对这个问题想了好几次。

又是乌云密布了——唉!难道天永远不会放晴吗?我还是去睡觉吧。接受我这充满爱意的吻,你自己也去睡吧,我的偶像。

萨姆

于俄亥俄州

1869年2月15日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:07:42 | 显示全部楼层
10.Mark Twain to His Wife

(Olivia L.Langdon)(Ⅱ)

9 May 1869· Hartford, Conn.

Break our engagement, darling? I would infinitely rather die. No, Livy, if note is taken ofthe deeds of men, our troth is writ in the eternalrecords of Heaven.We were created for each other, & can no more wilfully separate than canthe forces of nature defy the God that created them.We are bound to each other by viewless chains that are strong as the granite ribs that linkthe mountains together,& more enduring than thePyramids that mock at the perishable vanities ofmen——for these chains are of eternity itself,&cannot know death.

You are right when you say we shall not break our engagement.My life thenceforward would be only a vain & foolish sort of existence, for I knowby every instinct that is in me that I am not capableof loving any other woman as I love you.And life is but a dull,eventless captivity without love.

To say that I am sorry for Emma, but illexpresses it——for I can, after a fashion, divinewhat my torture would be if I were in her place.That I can divine one-half the magnitude of theterrible calamity, though,I do not pretend. Itsuggests graves, madness, winding-sheets &death!——in a word, all horrors that can befallthe unfortunate. In presence of the thought, I feelas if I want to put my arms about you & clasp youclose to my breast,& know & feel that you are mydarling yet, that I have not lost you.

I am more than sorry for Emma——I feel more kindly toward her than I ever did before——& my rebuking conscience iterates & reiterates tome that all the time that I would have stood between you & her & bolted the sheltering doorsagainst her, she was seeking restful words for atroubled spirit & balm for a sore heart.

All the ill news comes at once.A friend of Twichell's is in misfortune——a young ministerwhom I met,with his wife,at Twichell's house several times heretofore.He loved her to idolatry,& now she is taken from him. She had amiscarriage two years ago,& what with her bodily sufferings & grief for the loss of the child,she came near dying. Last week she had another miscarriage,& did not survive it. The young widower is well nigh beside himself with despair.Death is for us both, my Livy, but not broken engagements.Our marriage——for marriage it is——is for time & eternity.

“Livy,Livy,Livy”(I love the name,)I am so sorry, but we can't have proofs to send you. Thepublisher & the electrotyper are at daggers'points,& as the latter is not obliged by custom orcontract to furnish duplicate proofs,Bliss haslittle hope of getting them. He will try,but expects a refusal. And I have put so much“poetryIn the margin”that it seems hardly worth while forme to make an attempt, especially as Bliss says heis a crusty, ill-natured Englishman——still,Imean to make the attempt anyhow. I have read over fifty pages of proofs this morning——dull,stupid,aggravating,tiresome drudgery it was.Itseems incredible to me that these are the very samekind of proofs I used to love to read with my darling& string out as long as possible. But thistime I galloped through them & was perfectlydelighted when I got through.It took me about two hours——or even less. I haven't even made astart toward answering your dear good letters(7th& 8th received to-day,)& yet I must stop writingnow,for at 3 or 3∶30 o'clock I must be at Mrs.Hooker's,& it is considerably after 2, now & I amnot yet shaved.

Hat's gone, now, I suppose,& I am mostsincerely sorry, for if she isn't a blessing to ahousehold, all my judgments are gone astray. Andshe was such company & such a help to you, that Ifeel a grateful glow around about my heart everytime I think of her.Anybody that is good to Livycan command my love & respect.I shall write her,to Lisbon, Ill.

Livy dear, you must deliver my love unto yourfather & mother(&in no stinted measure or infrozen parliamentary pomp & circumstance,Iwarn you,)& unto your sister Sue& Theodore aswell.I love all those parties.

Confound it, I forgot to give Hattie themocking-bird.

The peace of God be with you, my own darling,& His angels keep you.

Sam
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:07:50 | 显示全部楼层
10.马克·吐温致妻

(奥莉维亚·L·兰登)(2)

亲爱的,解除我们的婚约?那我宁可去死。不,莉维,如果音符能记载人们的行为,那么我们的婚约已写在了天堂里永恒的唱片上了。我们是为对方而创造出来的,即使自然的力量反对创造它的上帝,我们也不愿意分离。我们被无形的链子相互捆绑着,这条链子就像连接山脉的花岗岩那样坚不可摧,比嘲弄人类短暂的虚荣心的金字塔更持久,因为这些链子本身就是永恒的,不会死亡。

你说我们不应该解除婚约,你是正确的。否则,从此以后我的生活就将失去全部意义,因为我每时每刻都知道,我已经不可能像爱你那样去爱别的任何女人。没有爱,生活就像枯燥无味、死气沉沉的监禁生活。

要说我对埃玛感到难过,这还不确切——因为我多少能预感到,若我处于她的位置我将会多么痛苦。我能预感到一半的灾难,我不是假装的。它意味着坟墓、疯狂、裹尸布和死亡!——简言之,一切恐怖都会降临在不幸者的头上。一想到这些,我就感到似乎想拥抱你,想把你紧紧地拥抱在胸前,我知道并且感到你仍是我亲爱的人,我还没有失去你。

对埃玛我不仅仅是感到难过——我对她比过去任何时候都友好——我内疚的感觉一次又一次地告诉我,我一直都站在你和她之间,并且一直向她关闭着庇护的大门,她正在为忧虑的情绪寻找安宁,为痛苦的心灵寻找慰藉。

所有的坏消息都一起来了。特威彻尔的一个朋友也正处于不幸之中,他是一位年轻的牧师,我曾经几次在特威彻尔的家里遇到过他和他的妻子。他把她当做偶像那样崇拜和热爱,而现在她却被带走了。两年前,她曾经流产,失去孩子给她带来了肉体的痛苦和精神上的创伤,她几乎濒临死亡。上周,她又一次流产,没能逃脱死神的魔掌。这位年轻的鳏夫几乎绝望得发狂。我们俩人都会面临死亡,我的莉维,但我们的婚约是不会死亡的。我们的婚姻——正因为它是婚姻——将属于时间和永恒。

“莉维,莉维,莉维”(我爱这个名字,)我很抱歉,我们无法送你校样。出版商和电版印刷商针锋相对,因为后者不信守惯例和合同,不提供两份校样,所以布利斯也没有希望弄到。他会试一试,但很可能遭到拒绝,而且我在页边的空白处写了那么多的诗,看来我不值得做此尝试,尤其是布利斯说他是个顽固的、脾气很坏的英国人——尽管如此,我仍打算无论如何也要尝试尝试。今天上午我已经看了50多页校样——这真是枯燥、乏味、令人恼火、单调无味。真让我难以置信,我过去与我亲爱的人一起看那些完全相同类型的校样时,我是那样爱看,并尽可能多看一会儿。可这次,我匆匆忙忙地把它们看了一遍,当我完成任务后,心里感到特别高兴。大概花了两个小时——也许还不到。我甚至还没有动笔给你那可爱动人的来信写回信(今天收到你7号和8号写的信),可我现在得停笔了,因为三点或三点半,我必须到胡克夫人家,现在已经两点过了,我还没有刮胡子呢。

我猜想哈特现在已经走了,我感到非常难过,因为,若连她都不算是管理家务的好手,那么我所做的一切判断则都是错的。她对你是如此好的一个伙伴和帮手,以至于我每次想到她时,心里都有一种感激之情。任何一个对莉维好的人都会得到我的爱和尊敬。我会给她写信,寄到伊利诺斯州的里斯本。

莉维,亲爱的,你一定要向你的父母转达我的爱,(我告诉你,要用毫不吝惜的方式,或者用庄重有礼的华丽气派的方式),也向你的姐姐苏和西奥多问好。我爱所有这些人。

我真该死,忘了给哈蒂那只反舌鸟。

愿上帝的平和与你同在,我亲爱的,上帝的天使守护着你。

萨姆

于哈特福特,康乃狄格州

1869年5月9日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:02 | 显示全部楼层
11.Henry James to

His Sister(Alice James)

3 Bolton St. W.

Feb 29 th, 1884

Dearest Sister,

I seemto myselfto be constantlyletting longer intervals elapse between my letters to you ;butI suppose that is inevitable in a prolonged correspondence. Iwill tryand not let silence get too much ahead of speech.Iwrote you last just afterI had gone over to Paris; from which place I returned,after a stay of some three weeks, twodays ago. Iamverygladto relapse into Bolton Street asI always am, after any absence,howeverpleasant, andI say this without detriment to Paris, which, for short periods, is alwayscharming to me.Nothing very particular happened to me there, butI saw my old friends and the newplays and had some excellent food.Igreatly missed Turgénieff, butI saw the Princess Ouroussoff, whomI used to see a great deal of old, and who is a most clever and curious woman,andshetold me various things about the lastyear ofhislife. Iam much horrified to learn that sincehisdeath Mme Viardot complains of him——of hishaving impoverished them; whereas he ruinedhimselffor her and her children. But these areodious discussions. WhileI was in ParisI heardfromAunt Kate ofyour intending to go on to N.Y.to tryan electrician; and therefore supposethat you have achieved it and that you even noware lodged behind some brownstone front of yournative city. This sounds to me like a big attempt,and Ihope it will be abigsuccess. The drama ofyour separation from Katharine is well over now,I suppose;andI will not indulge in vain conjecturesas to how you bear your bereavement .Ipray thatwhatever it may be, it is at least not worse thanyou——or she——supposed. Iam writing her aword of greeting, here, through the Barings, andshe probablywill send me a line——describingyou,as she left you——when she arrives inItaly.——We are having the first cold of thewinter and Mrs. Duncan stewart is dead. But thecold is bright and wholesome and Mrs. Stewarthad become a kind of talking melancholy ghost.She was a charming old being, however, andIshall miss her much.SomedayI shall put her intoa book. Ihave alreadyseen Mrs. Kemble and find her constantly a little more and a little morebroken and, as it were, indented. Ishall neverput her into a book.——Salvini made his firstappearance here,last night,in Othello, andIwent to see him; but to my surprise and distress hegave all the climax of the play much less finelythan whenI saw him a year ago in Boston, andIwas proportionately taken aback, having puffedhim so to some ofmy friendswho were there. Itwas as if he had toned it down and weakened itdeliberately, andIdon'tunderstandthe mystery. Ishall try and see him, and inquire.—— A notejust comes in from William, accompanying somepapers for me to sign in which he speaks definitelyof your going to N.Y.on the 14th.Ihope Marywill be an efficient(and effective) soubrette. Idon't think Ihave anynews that will interest you.Miss Motley(a supposedly hopeless old maid,plain and not moneyed) is to marry Colonel Mildmay. There is a sign ofcheer for you——havingthe advantages thatshe lacks. Mrs.Lombard was stillseriously ill when Ileft Paris,andI took upon myself to write to her son. Sheought to come home unless she has some one withher more powerful than Fanny.—— Ihear everynow and then from Carrie, but it is difficult to write to her, for want of topics. ButI do whatIcan. Ishall send this to Aunt Kate to give you.Bob's quietude seems almost too good to be true.Ever your affectionate.

Henry
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:08 | 显示全部楼层
11.亨利·詹姆斯致

姐姐(艾丽斯·詹姆斯)

亲爱的姐姐:

我似乎总是隔很长一段时间才给你写信;但我想在长期的通信联系中这是不可避免的。我想方设法尽快打破这种沉静的局面。上封信就是在我刚去巴黎时写的;我在巴黎呆了约三个星期后于两天前返回。像往常一样,无论别离后的日子多么愉快,返回波顿大街总是让我禁不住高兴不已;我说这些丝毫无损于巴黎,因为在巴黎短时间的逗留对我来说总是很美好的。这次在巴黎我没有遇到什么特别的事,不过见了几个老朋友,看了几出新剧,吃了些可口的食品。我再也见不到特金涅夫了,但我见到了欧罗索夫王妃,过去我常常见到她。她是一位极聪明而又富有传奇色彩的女性。她告诉了我许多有关特金涅夫临终那一年的生活琐事。得知自他死后维尔多特太太(他的妻子)就开始抱怨他——抱怨他无能而使他的家人陷入贫困,我就不寒而栗;要知道他是为了她和她的孩子才毁了自己。这些都是令人讨厌的争论。我在巴黎时,从凯特婶婶那里得知你还想到纽约去尝试做“电工”,想必现在已如愿以偿了,甚至正跻身于家乡的上层名流之列。这在我看来是一次大胆的尝试,希望它会是一个巨大的成功。我想你与凯瑟琳分离的悲剧至此应该结束了,我不会沉溺于徒劳的猜测——你会怎样承受丧亲之痛。我祈祷,无论情况如何,实际情况至少不会比你或她所想象的还要糟。在此,我通过巴因斯一家转达了对她的问候,她到达意大利时,可能会给我回一封信——告知她离开你时有关你的情况。我们正在经历冬天的第一次寒潮,邓肯·斯图尔特太太死了。但寒潮清心且有益于健康。斯图尔特太太已成为人们悲哀地谈论的阴间的人了,可她是一位可爱的老人,我会很怀念她的。总有一天我会把她写入书中。我见到了肯布尔太太,发现她正日益陷入绝望之中,似乎已精神崩溃。我决不会把她写进书中。——萨尔维尼昨晚在《奥塞罗》剧中首次露面,我去看了他的演出。但出乎我意料且令我沮丧的是,他在剧中的高潮部分的表现远不如我一年前在波士顿见到的那样令人满意,我也感到很吃惊,因为我曾向我在巴黎的那些朋友吹过他。他似乎有意降低并减弱了调子,我不理解其原由。我会设法见他并询问此事。——我刚收到威廉的一张便条和一些要我签字的文件,威廉在便条中肯定地说你将于14日去纽约。我希望玛丽是一个能干踏实的女佣。我想也没有什么消息会使你感兴趣。莫特利小姐(一个人们认为无望的清贫的老女佣)准备嫁给迈尔德梅陆军上校。对你而言这是一个令人兴奋的好兆头——她无论如何也不能跟你比。隆巴德太太在我离开巴黎时仍然病得很重,我主动给她儿子写了信。她应该回家,除非有比范妮更能起作用的人照顾她。——我时常收到卡丽的信,但很难给她回信,因没有什么话题可谈,不过我会尽力而为。我将把这封信寄给凯特婶婶再转给你。鲍勃的过于平静简直令人难以置信。

永远爱你的,

亨利

于波顿第三西大街

1884年2月29日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:19 | 显示全部楼层
12 . Winston Churchill to His Wife ( Climentine Churchill )
12 Winston Churchill to
His WifeClimentine Churchill

My dearest one
Alex and his aide-de-camp who is the son ofLord Templemore have left us after staying twonights IhopeAlex will come back again next weekend He certainlyenjoyed himself paintingand produced a very good picture considering it isthe first timethat he has handled a brush for sixyears Ihave now four picturesthree of themlargein an advanced state andI honestly thinkthey are better than any Ihave painted so far IgaveAlex your message and he was verypleased
The painting has been a great pleasure to meandI have really forgotten all my vexations It isa wonderful cure because you really cannot thinkof anything else This is Saturday and it is a weeksince we started We have had newspapers up tillWednesday Ihave skimmed through them and itcertainly seems we are going to have a pretty hardtime Icannot feel the Government are doing enough about demobilization still less aboutgettingour trade on the move again Ido notknow how we are ever to pay our debts andit isevendifficult to see how we shall pay our wayEven if we were all united in a Coalition gatheringall the strength of the nationour task might wellbe beyond our powers However all this seems already quite remote from me on this lovely lakewhere nearlyall the days are full ofsunshine andthe weatherbright and cool
Much better than the newspapers was your letter with its amusing but rather macabre account of the journey to WoodfordIam longingto hear how our affairs are progressing I do hope you are not overtaxing yourself with all the business that there is to do We shall certainly notforget about Mary's birthdaybut let me know what you have done about a present
Considering how pleasant and delightful the days have beenI cannot say they have passed quickly It seems quite a long time sinceI arrivedalthough every day has been full of interest and occupation Ihave converted my enormous bathroom into a studio with makeshift easelsand there all this morning Alex andI tried to putthe finishing touches on our pictures of yesterdayHe has set his heart on buying a villa here on apromontory Ihave not seen it inside but fromthe outside it looksthe most beautiful abode one can possibly imagine andI understand that insideit is even more romantic going back to the fifteenth century He was a little startled when I pointed out to him that no one will be allowed tobuy a foreign property across the exchange perhapsfor many years
He beggedme to stay onhere as long as I likebutI think I shall come back the 18th or 19thIam doubtful whetherI shall stop in ParisIexpect in another ten or eleven daysI shall be verykeen to get home again Sarah has been a great joy and gets on with everybody She andI both drive the speedboats They are a wonderful wayof getting about this lake and far safer than theawfulwindingroads aroundwhichtheItalians career with motorcars and lorries at all sorts ofspeeds and angles
Charles plays golfmost days There is a verypretty link here and he has fierce contests withhimself or against Ogier His devoted care ofme isdeeply touching
You maybe amused to see the elaborate form in which your telegram whichI rejoiced to receivetodaywas sent
His dictation over Churchill continued
in his own handwriting
My Darling I think a great deal of you lastnight when I was driving the speed-boat back therecame into mymind your singing to meIn theGloaming years ago What a sweet songtunehowbeautifully you sang it in all its pathos My heart thrills and I love to feel you near me in thought Ifeelso tenderlytowards you mydarlingthe more pleasantagreeable the scenesdays the moreI wish you were here to share them give me a kiss
You seeI have nearly forgotten how to writewith a penIsn't awful my scribbles
Miss Layton has heard from herboy-friendin S Africa that she is to go out therenotCanada immediately ifpossible to marry him Soshe is very happy Yesterday the South Africanofficers came from their hoteltook her out towater-plane behind their speed boat She look edvery handsome whirling along in the watermadethree large circles in front of the villa before shetumbled in Sarah is writing you now The DB isstarting Always your loving husband

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:28 | 显示全部楼层
12.温斯顿·丘吉尔致

妻(克莱门汀·丘吉尔)

我最亲爱的:

亚历克斯和他的副官坦普莫尔勋爵的儿子,到我们这里来呆了两个晚上。我希望亚历克斯下周末再来。他十分喜欢作画,而且果真画了一幅特棒的画,就他摆弄了六年的画笔而言,这也是他前所未有的。现在我画画十分娴熟,画了四幅,其中三幅还是大幅的。老实讲,这几幅画是迄今为止我画的最棒的了。我把你的情况告诉了亚历克斯,他听后很高兴。

作画可谓其乐无穷,我的一切烦恼也因此而冰释雪融。作画真不失为一个奇特的疗法,因为此时人们不会再有其他杂念。今天星期六,我们出发至今已有一个星期了,可直到星期三我们才收到一些报纸。我浏览了一下,预感到我们肯定将经历一段艰难的日子。我感到我们的政府并没有竭尽全力去裁军;也没有重新大力开展我们的贸易。我不知道我们如何去偿还债务;更不知道如何可以不举债。即使我们都组成一个联邦,集中起全国的所有力量,要想完成我们所面临的这个任务也是鞭长莫及。不过,这一切似乎离我很遥远,在这片美丽的湖上,几乎每天我所感受到的唯有明媚的阳光和凉爽宜人的气候。

你的那封讲乌德福有趣且相当惊险之行的信比报纸可好看得多。我想知道我们的事情进展如何,真希望你不要给自己负担过重。我们不会忘记玛丽的生日,不过,请告诉我你准备了什么礼物。

在此的日子虽说很轻松愉快,但仍感过得很慢。每天都很充实、有趣,但依然感到似乎来此已很久很久。我把那间大浴室改成了一个带有临时画架的工作室,今天一上午亚历克斯和我都呆在那儿,努力完成昨天的画。亚历克斯决心在这儿的一个海角上买一幢别墅。我没有看过里面的陈设,但就外表而言,确是人们所能想象得出的最漂亮的住宅。我听说室内更为浪漫,充满了15世纪的情调。不过,当他得知多年来不允许通过交易购买外国地产时,颇感惊讶。

亚历克斯说如果我愿意,可以继续待在这儿。但我想18或19号就回来。我还在犹豫途中是否在巴黎停留,但我多么希望再过10天或11天之后能回到我渴望已久的家。莎拉给我们带来了极大的快乐,她和大家相处得很好。我们俩一起驾着快艇驰骋于湖上,好不刺激,好不惊险,而且比起意大利职业赛车手在糟糕的崎岖不平的小路上全方位、全速驾驶小汽车或卡车可是安全得多。

查尔斯大多数时间都在打高尔夫球。这里有一个很漂亮的高尔夫球场。有时他自己打,有时与奥吉尔对打。他对我悉心的照料使我深受感动。

很高兴今天收到了你的电报,想必你对精心策划的电文格式也感到好笑吧。

亲爱的,我太想你了。昨晚我驾着快艇返航时,耳边便萦绕着你多年以前对我唱的一首歌“在黄昏”。多么动听的歌!多么优美的曲调!你唱得又是那般地哀婉动人!我的心在激烈震颤,炽热的爱使我感到你就在我身边,是那样的温柔!亲爱的,这里的风光愈是赏心悦目,我就愈强烈地渴望着你能来到我身边与我分享这一切。请来吻吻我吧!

瞧,我几乎不知道如何拿笔了,胡画一通,一定糟糕透顶。

雷顿小姐收到了她“男朋友”从南非的来信。如有可能,她会立即去南非(不是加拿大)与他成婚,因此她高兴极了。昨天几个南非官员从旅馆来,把她带到一架“水上飞机”上,那玩意就停在快艇的后面。她在水上旋转着,在别墅的前方转了三个大圈才跌落下来,真是棒极了!萨拉现在也在给你写信。晚餐铃响了。

永远爱你的丈夫

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:36 | 显示全部楼层
13. Winston Churchill to

His Daughter(Mary Churchill)

My darling Mary,

“Many Happy Returns of the Day.” This shd reach you on yr Birthday the 15th: but if it comesearlier or later it carries with it the fondest love ofyr Father. I have watched with admiration&respect the career of distinction&duty wh you have made for yourself during the hard years of thewar.Ilook forward in the days that may be left meto see you happy&glorious in peace. You are a gtjoy to yrmother&me&we are hoping that vy soon you will be living with us at Chartwell andinour newhouse in London. It will be lovelyhavingyou with us.

Here it is sunshine&calm. Ipaint all day&every day&have banished care&disillusionmentto the shades. Alex came&painted too. He is vygood. Monsieur Montag is coming to comment&guide me in a few days. Ihave three nice Picturesso far,&am now off to seek for another. Sarah iswriting you herself.

With all my affection

Your loving Father

Winston S. Churchill
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:47 | 显示全部楼层
13.温斯顿·丘吉尔致

女儿(玛丽·丘吉尔)

亲爱的玛丽:

“生日快乐!”这封信在你十五号生日那天可以到达你手中,但不管它迟到或早到,都带着你父亲的一片厚爱。我一直带着赞赏与尊重的目光关注着你在艰苦的战争岁月中创立的非凡的业绩和承担的职责;我也期待着在和平的日子里看到你荣耀与幸福。你是你母亲和我的巨大快乐,我们盼望着不久你能和我们在恰特威尔和伦敦的新居共同生活。

我这里阳光灿烂,一片宁静。我整天作画,每天如此,消除了烦恼,也对阴影部分产生了幻觉。亚历克斯也到这里来作了画,他人不错。蒙太格先生过几天要来给我点评与指导。迄今为止,我画了三幅好画。现在我准备出发为另一幅画选景。此时,莎拉也在给你写信。

爱你的父亲,

温斯顿·S·丘吉尔
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:08:54 | 显示全部楼层
14.Climentine Churchill to

Her Husband(Winston Churchill)

My Darling,

I'm so distressed about the truss——I hope itis comfortable&does not worry you.Did you strain yourself or stretch unduly, and will you nowbe able to do your exercises which are so potent a preventative of indigestion? Please take great careof yourself.

I have big news.Mary is home from Germany for good&has applied for a position in London ornearby. It's very good of her because she was having a thrilling time in Germany. She asked tobe sent home so that she could be near us. Andthey granted her request.She rang me up from Tilbury,&said‘I'm home for good’. I think shemay be demobilized in February——I feel warmed& comforted by her presence.

I'm so happy to see from your letter that youare enjoying the beauty of the Lakes& the comfort&elegance of the Villa. Ihave had a most amusingletter from Sarah describing her apricot coloured&mirrored bathroom.

Work is progressing rather slowly, but I hope surely, on the Chartwell&London fronts——Whitbread is industrious&thorough& smiling.Max's hens are beautiful&have laid a few(a veryfew) eggs, of exquisite flavour but of diminutive size——about the size of a pigeon's egg.So we have to give two instead of one, to those who areregistered with us.But Moppett says,they will get bigger&more numerous presently.

No German prisoners yet till after the Harvest .It will be lovely when the lake camouflage is gone&also the barbed wire.

Your Pal,Damaskinos is here being entertained by Mr Attlee&Crankie. I see Anthony Eden attended the dinner.

I must hurry because your mail is just off. I'm sending 2 bottles of brandy as requested.I hope they are the right sort?

I enclose a cutting from the DT.

Your loving

Clemmie
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:02 | 显示全部楼层
14.克莱门汀·丘吉尔致

丈夫(温斯顿·丘吉尔)

亲爱的:

很难过听说你又得绑上那个托带——真希望你绑上它时不会感到难受,也不会为此犯愁。不要把自己绷得太紧,也不要系得太松。现在你还能做些运动吗?那对预防消化不良可有效呢!请一定细心照顾好自己。

我有重大新闻告诉你。玛丽已从德国回来再也不走了,并在伦敦也许是伦敦附近申请了一份工作。她要求回国,能和我们在一起,这对她很好,因为她在德国经历了一段紧张而刺激的生活。他们答应了她的请求。她从提柏立给我打来电话说:“我要回家啦!”。我想她可能二月份可以回家——一想到她将要出现于我们中间,我就感到一丝暖意和欣慰。

从来信中得知你在尽情地欣赏着湖光秀色和山庄的优雅及舒适,我为之感到高兴。从萨拉那我收到了一封有趣的信,她在信中描述了她那装有镜子的杏黄色的浴室。

房子装修进度缓慢,但我深信在卡特威尔前线和伦敦前线的怀特布雷德确实在勤奋地、周密地、愉快地干着活。马克斯家的母鸡很漂亮,已下了几个(为数不多的几个)鸡蛋,味道很好,但很小——大约只有鸽子蛋那么大。因此,我们需要给和我们登记过的人两个鸡蛋而不是一个。不过据莫皮特说,最近会产出更多的也大一些的鸡蛋。

自感恩节之后不再见德国战俘出来干活了。当湖上的掩饰物及铁丝网消失了,一切就好了。

你的朋友,达马斯金诺丝在这受到阿特利和克兰金先生的款待;安东尼·伊登也出席了晚宴。

你的信刚发出,我必须快点。按你的要求我寄去两瓶白兰地,希望是你要的那种。

随信寄来一幅《每日电讯报》上的版画。

爱你的——

克莱门汀
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:12 | 显示全部楼层
15.Albert Schweitzer

to His Parents(Ⅰ)

Barcelona

Wednesday, 2∶00 P. M.

22 October,1908

My dear parents,

The worst is behind us!That was last night's organ concert and the lecture preceding it.Quite frankly I was somewhat worried about this lecture since I am not used to giving long talks in French… and the hall is enormous: three thousand people. But to my amazement I discovered that I felt as much at home in French as I do in German,and that it was easier for me to speak loudly andclearlyin Frenchthan in German!Istood there without a manuscript, and within three minutes I sensed thatI had captured my audience more surely than I had ever done before. I spoke forfifty-five minutes, and next came an organ recital that lasted for one hour. I have never been sosuccessful.When the program ended, they allremained in their seats: I had to go back to myorgan and play for another half hour; the audiencewas sorryto leave… it was half-past midnight!

Here, the concerts are announced for 9∶15,but at that time there's not a soul in the auditorium;toward 9∶30 the first few peoplearrive, strolling about in the hall and the lobby,and toward ten o'clock, after three rings of a bell,the people deign to finally take their seats!

On Saturday, a grand concert with organ andorchestra is scheduled in the morning, and I have long rehearsals in the evening, for the organ isvery difficult to play since the sound is always delayed. Luckily. I am well rested, and I am managing to overcome the difficulties. Absolutely everyone addresses me as“chèr ma re”;the artcritics settle down in the auditorium during rehearsals; my portrait is displayed in the musicstores. It's such fun.

I am staying with Walter at the premier hotelonthe grandsquare with splendid palm trees.I have a view of the square and the entire city all theway to the big mountains forty minutes away fromhere;they are as high as the Hohnack.I walk overto them every afternoon;it takes me a total of twohours.

The weather is the same as at home on a lovely June day.The men who were waiting for me at the railroad station roared with laugher whenthey saw walter and me in overcoats.

As I am writing to you,the square below my window is filled with a terrible din.The king isarriving in an hour,and the troops are now takingup their positions. Tomorrow evening there will bea grand gala performance at the theater. Ihavebeen invited, butI am not going; Iwant to rest,forI feel too well to risk my excellent condition.

I will close now, otherwise the letter won't goofftonight. Ithas to be at thepost officebyfour o'clock. There is no night trainto France.

Please forward this letter to the Ehretsmannsandto the Woytts.

Hugs and kisses,

Alber
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:09:20 | 显示全部楼层
15.阿尔伯特·施瓦策尔致父母(1)

亲爱的爸爸、妈妈:

最糟糕的总算过去了!我说的是昨晚的管风琴音乐会以及音乐会前的演讲。说实话,我有点担心这次演讲,因为我不习惯用法语做长篇演讲,而且音乐厅非常大,能容纳三千人。但让我吃惊的是,我发现自己讲法语和讲德语一样轻松自然,而且对我来说,洪亮清晰地说法语比说德语更容易!我站在那儿,不用讲稿,三分钟内我就感到,我已经把听众深深地吸引住了,比过去任何一次都更成功。我讲了55分钟,接下来,就是管风琴独奏音乐会,这持续了一个小时。我从来没有如此成功过。当节目演奏完毕,所有的听众仍然坐在座位上不愿离去,我不得不再次回到管风琴旁,又演奏了半个小时。当听众们依依不舍地离去时,已是深夜12点半了。

在这里,虽然通知音乐会从9点15分开始,但时间到了,大厅里却不见一个人影;接近9点半时,才来了几个人,在大厅里或走廊上溜达,快到十点钟时,三次铃响之后,人们才最终屈尊坐到他们的座位上!

这个星期六,上午安排了一场由管风琴及管弦乐队演奏的盛大音乐会,晚上我花了很长时间彩排,因为管凤琴发出的声音总是延迟,很难演奏。幸运的是,我能恰到好处地停顿,设法克服了这些困难。每一个人都称我为“尊敬的艺术大师”;艺术评论家们在彩排期间都认认真真地坐在听众席上;我的画像也在许多乐器店中悬挂着,这真有趣。

我与沃尔特住在大广场上的首相宾馆,四周环绕着美丽壮观的棕榈树。我能欣赏到整个广场、整个城市,甚至能一直看到离这儿有40分钟路程之遥的群山;这些群山与霍荷纳克山一样高,我每天下午步行至山下,来回要用整整两个小时。

此时这里的气候犹如家乡那宜人的六月。当那些在火车站接我的人们看到我和沃尔特穿着大衣时,都开怀大笑起来。

就在此时我给你们写信之际,窗外的广场上人声鼎沸,一小时之后国王即将驾到,现在队伍正在排列。明天晚上剧院里将有一场盛大的欢庆表演。我已接到邀请,但我不想去。我想休息一下,因为我现在感觉很好,我不想冒险破坏我的最佳状态。

我得就此停笔了,否则这封信就无法在今晚发出。这封信得在4点钟之前交到邮局,因为这儿没有开往巴黎的夜班火车。

请把这封信转交给埃雷茨曼夫妇和沃伊特夫妇。

拥抱、亲吻你们!

阿尔伯特

于巴塞罗那

星期三下午2∶00

1908年10月22日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注~册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|咖啡日语

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 00:13